- 1. Department of Biotechnology, Faculty of Natural Sciences, Tirana University, Albania ,
- 2. Institute of Plant Genetic Resources, Agricultural University of Tirana, Albania ,
- 3. Department of Biotechnology, Faculty of Natural Sciences, Tirana University, Albania ,
- 4. Agricultural Technologies Transfer Centre (ATTC), Vlore, Albania ,
- 5. Research Center of Flora and Fauna, Faculty of Natural Sciences, Tirana University, Albania ,
Abstract: The genus Prunus consist of fruit tree species of high economic value, well known for their edible fruits. Its germoplasm is represented by a large number of cultivars, breeding selections and rootstocks. The present study considers genetic diversity and relationships among four different Prunus species used for breeding new cultivars and rootstocks. Fifty five accessions of Prunus domestica, P. armeniaca, P. avium and P. persica from ex situ collection in Albania were analysed using RAPD molecular markers. Prunus accessions were grouped into three clades, according to the unweighted pair group method with arithmetic mean (UPGMA) dendrogam constructed based on molecular data, with a mean similarity of 43%. The obtained results were supported by principal coordinate analysis (PCoA) which clearly differentiated Prunus sp. into three similar groups. The results demonstrated that P. domestica and P armeniaca were more closely related among analysed species, their accessions were clustered in the same clade. The understanding of genetic relationships among Prunus sp. contribute significantly to breeding and effective utilisation of Prunus germplasm resources held in the ex situ collection.